I left the flowers under the weight of several heavy books for a week or so and this morning seperated the pages to have a look, although they’re pretty fragile, they turned out great and probably dont need any ironing. I scanned a couple of them in and played around with negitive black and white space. Below is an image of the flowers pressed and an example of compare and contrast with backgrounds.
Last night I watched a documentary about the biggest issue of American vogue every year: the September issue.
It was filmed in 2009 and reveals behind-the-scenes drama that follows editor-in-chief Anna Wintour and her staff throughout their most chaotic time. Although I learnt alot about the world of editing and fashion, a couple shots in this film reminded me of the theme I’m looking to develop for pattern making. At about 52 minutes in I screen captured these images below. I love the bold and royal-coloured patterns against the pitch black backgrounds.
I dried off the flowers as best I could with tissues and a hair drier, being very careful with the delicate nature of the plant. After having a look at the baking paper I decided against it as its not absorbent enough to dry the flowers in time. I chose tissue paper instead (the pink paper throughout the images below) which was about 60 GSM, thin enough to be soak up the moisture from the flowers. I tried to place similar flowers together as the size or depth of them would be more even to ensure equal weight was placed on each.